Saturday, February 23, 2013

No Bake Cookies



I'm missing my mom.  


She's a beautiful person.  She has an amazing heart, and she's kind and good.  She gave my sister and brother and I the kind of start in life that made us 'advantaged'--not monetarily, but in every way that counts.  She makes me feel smart, and strong, and successful.  We live too far apart, and this stretch from the holidays to May is always the time of year we go without seeing each other.

And this has......what to do with no bake cookies?  Well, of course, they remind me of her.  My mama's not a great lover of being stuck in the kitchen.  Growing up, she often made brownies from a box, and cookie sandwiches from saltines and chocolate frosting, and "cherry nummy" from canned cherry preserves and a yellow cake mix.  She went for fast and simple, because she was a working mama too.  When she had free time when we were younger, she often spent it outside in the garden.  She still does.  That's why no bake cookies fit in perfectly with her style.

In the 22 years since I left home, I've never made them.

I set out to rectify that today.  When I landed on this recipe, I knew I had a winner.  Really, when the first ingredients are butter

and sugar
and chocolate
and peanut butter

how could it be anything but good?  Seriously, with the protein (peanut butter) and whole grains (oatmeal), this is almost health food...


And it all comes together in a cinch.  


 
Now, if only my dad would  bring her here so I could enjoy them with her.  Sigh.  I really miss my dad....

No Bake Cookies
Recipe from FoodNetwork.com

2 c sugar
4 T cocoa
1 stick butter
1/2 c milk
1 c peanut butter
1 T vanilla
3 c oatmeal
 
In a saucepan, melt the butter, then whisk in the sugar, cocoa and milk.  Bring to a boil, and allow the mixture to boil for about a minute.  Remove from the heat, then whisk in the peanut butter and vanilla.  Stir in oatmeal, then drop by rounded tablespoon-fulls onto a piece of wax paper.  Allow them to cool, or put them in the fridge for a few minutes to help them set up.  Then enjoy.  Mmmmm.  Tastes just like being 12! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment