Saturday, February 16, 2013

Caramelitas


 

The truth is, I'm feeling a lot of pressure at work.  Self-induced pressure, but still--so much I can't control and so much riding on faith.  It freaks me out when I do everything within my power, but I can't guarantee a successful outcome.  

I'm pretty sure that's why I bake.  

I mean really, if it has butter and sugar, it's probably going to turn out good.  It's probably going to make people happy.  People will probably want it.  And throw in caramel and chocolate....how could I go wrong?  

I've had this bag of caramels sitting in my pantry since Christmas.  I think that's a record around here--caramels in the pantry for two months--but I had them kind of tucked away and out of site.  So out of site that even I had forgotten about them until they were uncovered after I grabbed out a bag of chocolate chips for the emergency pan of scotcheroos I had to throw together this week for the basketball concession stand.  But that's a story for another day.  Anyhow.  I had caramels.  And I had chocolate chips.  And I have this old recipe for oatmeal cookies from my sister-in-law Danelle.  An hour in the kitchen, and walla!  Caramelitas!  


Super simple to make.  Whip up the oatmeal cookie recipe, but spread about 1/2 to 2/3 of the dough in the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 pan.


Melt your caramels with heavy cream and whisk until smooth, then pour over the dough and sprinkle with a bag of chocolate chips.  Mmmmmmm, caramel and chocolate......


Blob the rest of the dough all over the top of that.  Yes, blob really is the technical term for this action.



Bake the whole thing for 25 to 30 minutes at 375.  Remove from your oven and allow the caramelitas to cool for as long as you can stand.  You may need to take some of the caramely crust off while you wait, to taste test.  To make sure you don't poison anyone or anything.  To make sure it turned out ok. 



Cut into squares and serve to your loved ones.  Revel in the complete lack of pressure about making amazing caramelitas.  Notice how successful you were.  Appreciate your kitchen prowess.  


Feel safer knowing that even though you can't control what other people choose to do, you can always control the caramelitas.  Thank goodness for that.

Caramelitas

For the cookie dough:
1 c. butter, at room temperature
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. white sugar
2 eggs
2 t. vanilla
2 c. old fashioned rolled oats
1 c. all purpose flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder

For the top:
1 bag of caramels
1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
1 bag of chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)

Preheat oven to 375.  Beat butter and sugars until well creamed--about 5 minutes, or the time it will take you to peel the wrapper off all the caramels.  Add the eggs and vanilla, beating thoroughly after each.  Add the dry ingredients and beat until well combined.

Spread 1/2 to 2/3 of the dough on the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 baking pan.  Melt caramels with the whipping cream--I put them in the microwave for about 2 minutes.  Whisk until smooth, and pour over the top of the dough in the pan.  Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top.  Scoop rounded tablespoons of the remaining dough and place randomly on top of the chocolate chip and caramel layer, making sure there is about an even amount around the pan.

Bake for 25-30 minutes.  Remove from the oven and cool.  Then enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment