Thursday, August 1, 2013

Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies

I know it doesn't seem like it based on all of my sugary and fattening blog posts, but I'm really health conscious.  I don't buy my kids white bread.  I don't feed them much processed food.  No sugar cereal.  No hot dogs.  No treats from a box.  Rarely anything with corn syrup.  And I generally don't cook with shortening.
These cookies are the exception.  The sole reason I ever buy the stuff.  And I wouldn't make them, except my oldest boy likes them so much.  And he's the skinniest kid.  He needs these fat and calories.  I shove food on him very regularly--healthy food, of course.  He'd live on sweet tea, ice cream and cookies if I'd let him.  And though I can tell him 'no' on Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Fruit Loops, I cave in on these cookies from time to time.  
Friends, there are a lot of calories, a lot of fat, a lot of shortening in these.  It's why they taste so good.
But they've got oatmeal in them (a whole grain!).  And they're made from scratch.  Which means they aren't processed.  And I guess at least I can take solace in that. 
Here's to hoping our son can actually fill out those 29 x 33 jeans this year.  Without a belt on the last notch. 

Oatmeal Sandwich Cookies
Recipe from Taste of Home

For the cookies:
1.5 cups shortening
2 2/3 cups brown sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
4 cups old fashioned oats

For the filling
3/4 cup shortening
3 cups powdered sugar
1 jar (7 oz) marshmallow creme
1 to 3 T milk

Preheat oven to 350.  To make the cookies, beat shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition.  Add vanilla, then baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg.  Combine thoroughly.  Add flour until incorporated, then mix in oats.  Drop by rounded tablespoonful about 3 inches apart on a cookie sheet.  I've found these cookies spread, so give them space.  Bake for 10-12 minutes, then cool completely on a wire rack or newspaper.

For the filling, beat shortening, powdered sugar and marshmallow creme until light and fluffy.  Add in enough milk to soften the filling so it is spreadable.  Spread a generous tablespoon of filling on a cookie, then top with another cookie to form a sandwich.  Then enjoy!

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment