Saturday, November 10, 2012

Awesome Chocolate Chip Cookies


I know it's the right thing to do to give recognition to the source of a recipe when it's shared in a blog, but honestly I've had this recipe for so long I have no idea where it came from.  I've had this recipe for three states and five different addresses.  I've had this recipe for four kids.  Two are now teenagers.  (Dear God).  I've had this recipe for so long it's actually written down on a recipe card and not bookmarked in my computer or pinned on my Pinterest boards.  Seriously, I've had this recipe so long that back when I originally wrote it down, I was still inwardly grimacing and letting people call me.....Becky.  Oh my.  


I haven't let anyone call me Becky in years.  So really, I've had this recipe a long time.  And I must have made hundreds of these cookies over the years.  It's bomb proof.  I'm convinced that's because it has a secret ingredient.


Weird, huh?  Pudding.  Sometimes I use vanilla, and sometimes I use white chocolate.  I'm crazy that way.  Honestly I'm not sure anyone can tell the difference, so it doesn't matter anyway.  The pudding in this recipe makes the cookies really soft, and really scrumptious.  I've never met anyone who didn't like them.

Lately a lot of people have been pinning the 'best chocolate chip cookie' recipe published in the New York Times.  I'll blog about that in a few days.  I've made a batch of my "Awesome Chocolate Chip Cookies."  I've made a batch of the New York Times recipe.  I'm going to double-blind taste test with my family and a few coworkers to see which wins the day--the 'awesome' or the 'best.'  

In case you care to treat your family and your office to a taste test of your own, here's my recipe.  

Awesome Chocolate Chip Cookies 
1 c. butter
1/4 c. white sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 box instant pudding mix (try vanilla or white chocolate)
1 tsp. baking soda
2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 pkg chocolate chips (you pick which kind)

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.  Set out two sticks of butter and let them warm to room temperature.  I often forget to do this, and then try to melt the butter a little in the microwave.  That makes this next step turn out not as nice.  So don't be like me.  Put the butter out for a while.

Beat the butter and sugars until they are light and fluffy, about 2 to 5 minutes.  Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until well combined.  Incorporate the pudding, soda and flour.  Try to do that slowly, or all of the powders puff up in the air and get cooking dust all over your food processor.  That always irritates me.  Stir in your chocolate chips.

Scoop the cookie dough onto your cookie sheets in whatever size you like.  


Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, depending on your oven.  I baked mine for 8 minutes, and I probably could have pulled them out at 7.5.  Or 7.35.  Or even 7.25.

  

These two seemed to think 8 whole minutes was good, though.


Not really a tough crowd, ya know?


 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment