Monday, September 9, 2013

Homemade Rotel



It seems that Rotel has been popping up in more and more recipes on my Pinterest board.  Of course, when I want to share with you some of the ones we've liked, I draw a blank with the exception of this one.  But really, Rotel is in everything lately.  I wasn't sure how it was much different than a can of diced tomatoes with green chilies.  Until I made my own.

Oh my.  This is ever so much better than diced tomatoes and green chilies.  It's way, way better than canned Rotel.

There's no way I'd take credit for making this up.  I learned how to make it from the Canning Granny blog, and that gal's a genius.  Today I made a small batch to use up some of the final offerings of our summer garden, but I made a larger batch a few weeks ago.  Already I'm scheming extra raised beds next summer so I can fill my pantry up with jars of this....


I've found that canning tomato products really comes down to the spices you put into them and the quantity of the same staple produce used.  Like salsa, Rotel is composed of tomatoes, jalepenos, onions and peppers.  






Apple cider vinegar, sugar and salt are also added.  I think some of the difference between Rotel and salsa is in those ingredients.






Rotel tastes more stewed, more savory.  And it cannot be understated how amazing it is on tortilla chips when stirred into melted cheese.  Out of this world.  And I'm not even a chips and dip girl.

If you've got tomatoes still left on your vines, or if your co-worker is trying to get rid of his...or even if you have to make a run to the grocery store--this is worth your time!

Homemade Rotel
Taken directly from the Canning Granny blog

About a gallon of tomatoes.  (I used Romas)
2 large peppers (green, red, yellow or orange)
1 large onion (I like Vidalias)
8 jalepenos
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1.5 T canning salt
6 tsp lemon juice

Bring a large pot partially filled with water to a boil.  Add tomatoes and cook for about a minute.  Quickly drain hot water, then dump tomatoes into a bowl of ice water to 'shock' them.  Peel the skins from the tomatoes, then dice into pieces and put back into the empty stock pot.  Dice green peppers and onions and move into stock pot with tomatoes.  Dice jalepenos, removing ribs and seeds for more mild Rotel, then place into stock pot.  Add sugar, salt, and vinegar into the pot, then place on stovetop and bring the mixture to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 45 minutes.  Sterilize jars, then add one teaspoon of lemon juice in each.  Ladle hot Rotel into each of the jars, leaving about an inch of headspace at the top.  Tightly screw on lids.  Process jars by placing them in boiling water for 15 minutes.  Remove and allow to cool completely.  The lids on the jars should pop, indicating a good seal.  Store in a cool dark place like your pantry.

Serving suggestion;  In a microwave save bowl melt a small block of Velveeta cheese.  Stir in a jar of your homemade Rotel.  Serve with tortilla chips.  Enjoy!  


   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment